Monday 17 October 2011

52 Recipe Challenge – Week 15.


This week I decided that after a few weeks of trying savoury recipes that I should turn my hand to baking again as I’ve been inspired by this year’s series of the Great British Bake off. So I decided to try to treat my sweet tooth and make the Chocolate Meringues Recipe from: Wille’s Chocolate Factory Cookbook.

To make this recipe you need:

4 egg whites
200g caster sugar
50g cocoa powder

To start with I lined the baking tray with non-stick baking paper, as I didn’t need to pre-heat the oven as there was already a pizza in it.  After I did that I got the eggs out of the fridge and promptly dropped one, as it didn’t seem too smashed so I thought it would be ok to use... I tried to crack open the eggs and separate the egg yolks from the whites of the eggs like I had seen them do on the telly and then put the egg whites in my food processor and the egg yolks in a separate bowl.

I tried to avoid getting any yolk in with the egg whites but unfortunately it looked like there were a few drops of yellow in the mix but I tried to whisk up the eggs anyway.

After whisking the eggs for a minute I added the sugar and cocoa powder and tried to whisk the mixture further but it wasn't becoming shiny and firm like it said it would in my book. 

After trying this for a while and being told off about the noise from the food processor affecting my boyfriends telly watching I realised that no amount of whisking would make this mixture become stiff and shiny.  I didn’t want to discard the mix though so I piled some of it on to the baking sheet and put it in the oven which I turned down to 140c and set my timer for an hour.

The results were disasterous! The smell chocolatey but they look wafer thin and the same sort of size as a generous coaster and while edible they were slightly burnt. 

Not my best baking but making this recipe has provided plenty of lessons for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment