Tuesday 31 January 2012

52 Recipe Challenge - Week 30.

This week I decided to get more organised and make a recipe I've had bookmarked for a while.  The reason I had to get more organised is because this recipe assumes you have left over roast chicken and tomato sauce and I rarely have either of these things left over!

What recipe did I make you might be wondering? It was the: Chicken, ham, cheese and tomato stuffed crepes recipe from Sam Stern's: Real Food Real Fast.

To make this you need:

Chicken - I used four mini chicken breasts but you could use chicken thighs or wings.
A tin of chopped tomatoes
1 small Onion
2 Garlic Cloves
Olive Oil
A pinch of Sugar
Sprinkle of Basil
Salt & Pepper to season
A few drops of Lemon Juice
175g/ 6 oz plain white Flour
A pinch of Salt
2 Eggs and an extra Egg yolk
425ml/ 3 quarters of a pint Milk
2 teaspoons Butter
2 teaspoons Poppy seeds
Ham - I used pancetta but you can use gammon or any other type of ham.
Cheese - I grated half a bowl full of Cheshire Cheese

I started off this recipe by cooking off my chicken breasts in the oven, once these were cooked I got them out of the oven cooled them on the side and then put them in the fridge to use later.

Next I started to make my tomato sauce by putting some olive oil in the pan and heating it as I chopped up the onions.  Once the oil was heated and the onions chopped I added them to the pan along with the garlic and cooked them until the onion becomes soft.

When the onion was cooked I threw in the tin of tomatoes, sugar, basil, pepper, salt and lemon juice and stirred the ingredients together.  Then I brought them to the boil and before turning the heat down so that the mixture simmered.

After that I stirred the sauce and kept an eye on it and then took it off the heat when the flavours combined and the sauce started to thicken. Once I'd removed it from the heat I poured the sauce into a bowl and put it to one side and washed my pan.


As the pan dried on the draining board I gathered the last of my ingredients together and started to make my crepes.  I measured my flour and put it in my food processor along with the salt, pepper, eggs and milk before mixing it all together.  I then looked at the recipe again and realised that I should have measured the milk instead of just putting a dash of milk in so I added a bit more and the butter. After I double checked the recipe I saw that the recipe in the book said to melt the butter first but it was a bit late for that and no harm seemed to have been done...

I then dried the pan, put it on the hob and turned the oven on to 220c/ gas mark 7.  Next I threw the poppy seeds into the food processor and mixed the batter once more.

After doing that I put a bit of butter in the pan and heated it, when it was heated I ladled some of the crepe batter into my pan, swirled it around and started to cook it.  The crepe was taking a while to cook so whilst I waited I chopped the chicken breasts into pieces and started to grate the cheese.

When I had got both sides of the crepe crisp and golden I put it on a plate and started the next crepe.  I did this a few more times before my boyfriend came down and enquired about how long it would be until tea time so I roped him in as a sous chef and filled started to fill the cooked crepes.

I filled the crepes by smearing some of the tomato sauce on them, then putting the chicken in and some ham before sprinkling in the cheese, rolling them up and putting them in my roasting dish.

When all the crepe batter was cooked, filled and put in the roasting dish I put the last of the tomato sauce on it and then sprinkled the remaining cheese on top, before thinking this looks a bit like enchiladas and putting it in the oven for fifteen minutes.

Once the fifteen minutes were up I took the crepes out of the oven and dished them up.

Shortly afterwards they were devoured by me and my boyfriend... no mercy was shown and there were no left overs. This was a very good meal, definately not a fast one but if I was even more organised I could prepare the crepes in the morning and put them in the fridge then just prepare the fillings and it would be a lot quicker. One for future reference!







No comments:

Post a Comment