Saturday 11 May 2013

Book Love - Blog Every Day in May.

Sometimes I go through phases of not reading many books and I forget how much pleasure I get out of them... but actually books are a bit like my kryptonite.  I have happy memories of climbing up a tree at Padgate cricket club and sitting in it for hours reading my book whilst my Dad played cricket.  I was also one of those who got in trouble for finishing the book we were reading in English too early, reading other books in boring classes and staying up too late reading by the light of the street light outside my bedroom window.  I guess you could say I'm a bit of a book worm...
It wouldn't be a lie! The day after I finished my degree in English Literature and Creative Writing I wound down from dissertation writing and my essays by reading Filth by Irvine Welsh.  Now me and Paul have our own house we've filled it with our books. There are a few in the bedroom.

Some in the living room.
The obligatory cookbook horde in the kitchen, as well as the master bookshelf in the study.

We won't mention the book in my handbag, the few that live under the bed or the last ten or fifteen in a box in the wardrobe I need to find a proper home for.  That would be foolish wouldn't it?  Whilst thinking about this blog post I also started to think about which books I read over and over but to be honest I don't tend to do that unless I'm studying a book.  There is one exception though the book Adverbs that my friend Amy bought me for my 21st birthday.
This is a beautifully written but confusing book full of the stories of different peoples lives who may or may not know and effect each other.  Each time I read it I discover a new element or notice something that I hadn't seen on previous readings, this is why I keep coming back to it.

Another book I have fond memories of is The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, which I received from Paul on my 21st birthday.

I got this book on my birthday and then took it with me to read on my way to Glastonbury and accidentally spilt tea all over it! It was a bit damaged but still readable.

Another book I love is The Little Prince.
It's only a short book but a lovely one, I think I may re-read it after I've finished reading my Game of Thrones book.  I also adore Jostein Gaarder's Sophie's World but I believe that this may be residing in the wardrobe at present.  It was a key book for sparking my interest in philosophy.

My friend Heather has also bought me some lovely books over the years, the most recent one was the Adventuress which is a gorgeous book by Audrey Niffenegger.
I also received a very nice Ukulele book called Ukulele Crazy from my friend Emma recently which re-ignited my interest in learning to play the Ukulele.
I could go on about books forever and a day but I sadly have other plans; however, should you ever want to get on my good side I can always be buttered up with a good book!  I'm partial to a bit of Terry Pratchett, Angela Carter, Phillip Pullman, Jasper Fforde, Anais Nin, Paul Magrs, JK Rowling, Malorie Blackman, Irvine Welsh or Quirk Classics...



No comments:

Post a Comment